Friday, July 18, 2008

Building Candy Land

This year, Molly's 3rd Birthday party is a Candy Land theme.  I figured it would be fun to have all of the colors and try to decorate the yard like parts of the game. 

 A couple of months ago, I began collecting items for treat bags and searching for decorating ideas.  I decided on the invitation style (cutting out gumdrops and placing them in a clear "candy bag") and got those out in plenty of time.  Then, apparently time slipped away from me as I realized  this week that her party is 2 weeks away!  We had no Candy Land "land" decorations and no menu, but that's beside the point.  So, frantically, the girls and I began to piece together a pseudo-life-sized game on Tuesday.  Lots of fun with Sean out of town until Saturday and Norah deciding that naps are overrated. 

So, here's what we've done.  The girls have enjoyed painting and watching me spread glitter glue around (OK, so they would have preferred to do that themselves, but we are under time constraints and still had to make it to swim lessons, ideally without their fingers glued together).  They helped me put the patterns for the game "trail" together and put the special pink squares in the right spots according to the game.  

I think, barring rain and wind, the outdoor party will be really cute.  I'm going to fill jars with licorice, gumdrops and candy canes for additional decorations, along with the traditional Fox streamers and balloons.  The lollipops we made will go around our Birch trees, the gumdrops will sit around the base of a Maple (or will hang from the branches, not sure yet).  I found 26-inch plastic candy canes to place around/hang in our Pine trees, and I'm going to make the playhouse into Gramma Nuts house (with giant peanuts somehow).  If I can pull it off, I'm going to add the pink square with the ice cream cone to the last "trail" and have a special pit-stop for Princess Frostine, possibly with ice cream for the kids.  I may put like candies in each area for the kids to add to their treat bags (bags of gumdrops, candy canes and unicorn lollipops), or I'll just already have them in the bags - not sure yet.  

Wish us luck as the party draws near!

No comments: